Summer Work Crew Information
Due to COVID-19, the status of the 2021 Bass Lake Summer Work Crew program is being evaluated. For those interested in the program, information about the application process is below. Due to on-going gathering restrictions, Bass Lake staff is not able to open the applications for Summer Work Crew at this time. A determination on program status will be updated on April 1. Updates regarding the status of the program will be posted as information becomes available.
- This program is for ages 14-16 only
- Applicant must be 14 by the start of the program.
- Must not be 17 by the start of the program.
- Applicant must meet age requirements
- Have the ability to work outside for up to an 8-hour day, lift up to 40 lbs., work with others, and follow instructions
- Must arrange own transportation to and from Bass Lake Park each day
- Must be able to commit to an entire four-week session. Time off for vacation, other extracurricular activities, etc. is not permitted.
To Apply, Please Submit:
- Completed Town of Holly Springs Summer Work Crew Employment Application
- Two letters of recommendation from local references. Teachers, counselors, instructors, past or current employers are all examples of acceptable references. Letters from family members will not be accepted
- An essay of no less than 1,000 words explaining reasons for wanting to participate in this program, as well as your personal short- and long-term life goals. Essay should be printed with 1” margins, double spaced and in 12 pt Times New Roman font. Please do not exceed 2,000 words.
- Write the following statement at the bottom of your essay and sign your name: “The above essay is my own original work and was written honestly without the assistance or influence of others.”
- Application, essay and letters of recommendation must all be submitted together by mail to:
Town of Holly Springs
c/o Bass Lake Park
P.O. BOX 8
Holly Springs, NC 27540
*Letters of recommendation must be included in package. No letters faxed or mailed separately will be accepted.
- The Summer Work Crew application will be posted on this webpage.
- Once posted, print the application packet.
- Follow all directions carefully.
- Submit application by dates to be determined.
- Application packets must be postmarked by date to be determined.
- Incomplete application packets will not be accepted.
- There are no exceptions for incomplete or late applications.
- You will be expected to work the entire 4-week session.
- There are no exceptions for vacations, school activities, dentist appointments, doctor appointments, etc.
- If you are unable to fulfill your work commitment, you will be replaced with the next eligible candidate.
- Each session has a maximum of 12 participants.
- July 5 is a Town holiday and Summer Work Crew participants will not work that day.
Hours of Work:
- 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Monday through Friday
- $4.25/hour (youth minimum wage)
- Work experience to list on your next job application or resume
- Pay periods are every two weeks.
- You will be paid by direct deposit into a checking or savings account. The participant must have a checking or savings account in their name.
- You are responsible for your own timesheet.
- If a child or grandchild of a Town of Holly Springs Parks & Recreation employee is selected for this program, they may participate but will not be paid.
- Building trails
- Clearing brush
- Re-establishment of riparian buffers and wetlands
- Lots of other outside work
- All work is done outside
- Power tools will not be used by participants
- Each participant needs to bring their own lunch.
- You will receive 30 minutes to eat and/or rest.
- Breaks will be taken as needed during the heat.
- Drinking water will always be available.
- To be determined
- You should bring work gloves, a hat, a reusable water bottle, sunscreen, insect repellent, lunch, closed toe shoes (sandals or open shoes are not allowed) and any other items you may need.
- Please arrive a little early so that you are ready to begin work at 8 a.m.; tardiness may result in dismissal.
- Application dates are to be determined.
For more specific information or questions, please contact Carolyn Couch, Bass Lake Park Manager at (919) 557-2496 or firstname.lastname@example.org.