Now Hiring - Communications & Marketing Specialist!
Are you an excellent writer and creative communications professional who likes to find new ways to keep people informed? Can you communicate clearly and help distill the most important messages to share with the public and translate “government speak” into real people language? Do you want to work in one of the fastest growing communities in one of the best places to live in the country? If so, then your next great opportunity may be waiting for you in the Town of Holly Springs!
The Town of Holly Springs’ award-winning communications department is looking for a Communications and Marketing Specialist who can thrive in an exciting atmosphere of growth and creativity. This is a plum opportunity for the right candidate who will be in the center of all the action and be responsible for the town’s most viewed publications and social media platforms. The Communications and Marketing Specialist will initiate, coordinate and implement strategic public relations efforts with the goal of conveying information about the Town and its programs and services to the community, through newsletters, social media, news releases, media relations, website and more.
The ideal candidate with have excellent writing skills, be able to juggle multiple assignments at once and quickly knock out quality work that has style and substance. This is the perfect job for someone who hates doing the same thing every day because you will be writing about everything from multi-million dollar road expansions to summer concerts to the growth of the biotech industry in Holly Springs. It's like being in the news business without all the stress, so former journalists feel free to apply! This position also has a strong social media component, and we are looking for someone who can deliver important information to the community in vibrant, creative and compelling ways. The ideal candidate is also a people person, who brings energy and ideas to the table and enjoys collaborating in a supportive, fun environment.
The Town of Holly Springs
Holly Springs is a town on the rise! Nestled in the Southwest corner of Wake County, North Carolina the third fastest growing county in the country, the Town of Holly Springs is experiencing unprecedented growth while retaining its “small town” charm. The population today is estimated at more than 47,396 and is expected to grow to 54,676 by 2025. Recognized as one of the “Best Small Cities in America” and one of top 100 safest cities in the U.S and the safest city in North Carolina, Holly Springs has become one of the most attractive communities in the Research Triangle Region. Major biotechnology companies like Amgen and Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies have started construction of state-of-the-art facilities in Holly Springs, and with Apple’s announcement of its first East Coast campus nearby, it's clear that major employers have identified the community as a place to be!
The Town features top rated schools, a variety of housing options, a brand-new hospital, and beautiful parks and greenways. Holly Springs is a family friendly and very active community, with amenities like Bass Lake Park and Ting Park, the busiest sports complex in the Triangle featuring turf fields, tennis and basketball courts and a nearly 2,000 seat baseball stadium.
- Communicate the Town’s programs and initiatives to the public using a variety of platforms including newsletters, social media, news releases, media relations, website and more.
- Write, edit and collaborate on articles, scripts, social media posts and other content to keep the public informed.
- Assist in the maintenance of the Town’s social media presence, posting across platforms, using creativity to get information to the public in new and interesting ways.
- Partner with Town departments to assist in creating messaging strategies and content.
- Draft effective news releases and coordinate with media contacts.
- Build relationships with the community, media and partners.
- Research and assist in implementation of emerging technologies to stay relevant with the Town’s audience.
- Assist in emergency communications during any natural disasters or crisis situations.
- Monitor and report impact of communications through surveys and other performance measures.
- Partner with the Communications and Marketing Team members to share occasional on call media duties after hours.
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communications, English, business or related field.
- At least 2 years of professional writing experience, particularly in public relations, communications, journalism or similar.
- Superlative written, verbal and visual communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate to a variety of audiences.
- Familiarity with social media communications channels, ability to integrate these channels into plans and strategies to achieve goals
- Creativity and the ability to multi-task to manage multiple projects at once and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software and email subscription management systems/software a plus.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro) a plus.