Do you have a golf cart that you would like to drive around your neighborhood? In Holly Springs, if your insured cart passes an annual inspection from the Holly Springs Police, a licensed driver can operate the cart on neighborhood streets with speed limits of 25 mph or less. The annual inspection checks for safety features.
These include headlights, taillights with brake lights and turn signals, seat belts for all seating positions on the cart, and more. Golf cart owners must maintain a valid insurance policy for their golf cart and show proof of the policy at the time of registration or renewal.
"While golf carts are a convenient neighborhoods, we want to ensure safety features are working properly,” said Police Chief Paul Liquorie. “Ultimately, our focus is safety for the drivers and passengers of these vehicles.”
To schedule an inspection, visit hollyspringsnc.gov/golfcart. A Holly Spring Police officer will set a time to visit your home to examine your cart.
Liquorie reminded golf cart drivers that they must obey all traffic laws on public roads.
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
- The driver and all passengers must use seatbelts.
- Keep feet, legs, hands, and arms inside the golf cart.
- Drive 20 mph or slower, and be especially cautious when driving downhill as golf carts can gather speed quickly. Slow down before and during turns.
- Check behind you before driving in reverse.
- Do not text while driving.
- Do not allow anyone to stand in a moving golf cart.
- Do not drive the cart while intoxicated.
- Fully engage the parking brake and remove the key before leaving the vehicle.